1. Who suits this board best?
Anyone who wants to push themselves in tiny to fun-sized surf, going for critical turns or airs and generating as much speed as possible in the conditions you’re in. Being Julian’s go-to board for high performance in average waves, this is a more refined version of our global bestseller and all-rounder, the Monsta Box, and fits an essential part of every keen surfer’s quiver.
2. What conditions is it best in and what waves around the world would we ride it in?
From weak or slow beachies to smaller points and reefs, the HYFI Air 17X is designed to excel in waves requiring you to generate your own speed and has the responsiveness to let you do whatever you like with it.
3. Which team riders use this board most and what do they like about it?
This is Julian Wilson’s everyday step down when he’s at home either on the Sunshine Coast or Newcastle. As the man himself says, “anytime you want to generate your own speed and excitement on a wave, this is the board to do it.”
4. What are the unique differences with this board and what does that result in performance wise?
The Air 17X is shorter, wider and flatter than its big brother and Performer Series genesis, the Air 17. It also has the same large sweet spot thanks to more foam redistributed under front foot and a flatter rocker through the middle. Soft, forgiving rails, deeper concaves and similar late curve in the nose and tail allow you to go anywhere you like in weaker conditions while holding as much speed as possible.
5. What 3 board quiver would JS recommend for an intermediate surfer heading on a surf trip to Indonesia or the Maldives?
HYFI Monsta Box, or for better waves / more advanced surfers, HYFI Air 17X
FMNII round pin